| || |
C.E. FRITZSCHE - Glass shop
Purveyors to H. M. the Queen of Denmark
|Founded August 18th 1788|
As far as we know the oldest
glass shop in the World.
The Fritzsche Family
1. Hieronymus Fritzsche (1760-1823)
Hieronymus Fritzsche descended
from an old family of glass traders in Bohemia. After immigrating to Denmark in
1788, he started trading glass and chandeliers in Gothersgade 46 and in 1809 he
moved his store to Kongens Nytorv 23. In 1790 he married Maria Xaveria Schürer
von Waldheim, whose father also traded glass; he owned a glass shop in Østergade
61. Maria's family had traded glass since 1500, when her forefathers emigrated
Saxony for Bohemia, founded numerous glassworks and traded glass and later chandeliers.
In July 1592 King Rudolf II knighted the Schürer family for its great efforts
in expanding Bohemian glass industry.
Hieronymus and Maria had one son, Carl
Edward, born 1809, but in 1819 Maria died. In the following year Hieronymus remarried
Johanna Bittner, who was also a Bohemian descendant. In his second marriage his
got a daughter, Henriette, who married Anders Fonnesbech, the founder of the well-known
fashion house. Their private addresses are unknown.
2. Carl Edward Fritzsche
Carl Edward Fritzsche took over the glass shop at the death
of his stepmother Johanna in 1834. The same year he married his cousin, Wilhelmine
Schüre von Waldhein, the daughter of Franz S.v.W., who had taken over the
glass shop in Østergade 61 from his father. In 1840 Carl Edward moved his
shop to Østergade 24, and on December 31 1840, King Christian VIII designated
him Court Glass Merchant.
In 1839 the shop was moved to Købmagergade
3. Carl Edward was widowed in 1856, but remarried his stepsister's sister-in-law,
Frederikke Fonnesbech. It is unknown where they lived in winter, but in summer
they moved to the countryside at Bülowsvej, today central Frederiksberg.
Carl Wilhelm Fritzsche (1836-1900)
Married Marie Engelstrup in 1867, and
as newlyweds they moved to Købmagergade 3. After moving to first Landemærket
7, then Slagelsegade 6, they lived in Østerbrogade 78 until his death in
4. Carl Andreas Emil Fritzsche (1870-1935)
1897 to Gerda Bjerre Knudsen, the daughter of ribbon trader Johan Knudsen, Østergade
42, granddaughter of Distilled spirits merchant Mathias Bjerre, Toldbodvej. In
1912 Fritzsche moved the glass shop to Amagertorv 14. As newlyweds Gerda and Carl
Emil lived in Nørre Farimagsgade and after several relocations they lived
in Rosenørns Allé 35 until his death in 1930.
5. Leo Carl
Edward Fritzsche (1905-1975)
Moved around quite a bit - both his private
address as well as that of the shop. In 1932 the Exchange Control Office had closed
down the import of almost anything but the most vital goods and in consequence
he had to move the shop away from Amagertorv 1939 due to shortage. He opened a
smaller shop in Nygade 4, but after a year he had to close this as well. During
World War II, the shop could be found in a cellar in Badstuestræde 20, until
it in 1946 opened in the present premises in Kompagnistræde 12. In 1940
he lived in Forhåbningsholms Allé 10 and moved to Kronprinsensvej
6 in 1968.
6. Ib Carl Edward Fritzsche (1921-1996)
1948 to Ingrid Maria Svendsen, and takes over the shop in 1976. At the same time
Court Glass Merchant was changed to Purveyors to H. M. the Queen of Denmark.
With his wife, Ingrid, Ib got the shop going very well, and in 1981 they were
able to buy the whole property of Kompagnistræde 12. The former back premises
were converted into a new and modern repair workshop for chandeliers, and a second
exhibition room, primarily for one-off glass, was added to the shop. Ib and Ingrid
retired in 1989.
7. Claus Erik Fritzsche (b. 1950)
with the shop 1977. In 1985 he married Annemette Nielsen, and together they took
over the shop in 1989 expanding the shop activities with exhibitions in the "new
room" of one-off glass, created by first-rate Danish glass artists. In 1993
the "old room" was carefully renovated, living up to all technical standards
without loosing the touch of a classical glass shop.
business addresses from 1788:
1788 - 1809
1809 - 1840
1840 - 1849
1849 - 1912
1912 - 1939
Amager Torv 14
1939 - 1940
Our new dog, FREDERIK II, born June 18 2003 is also a very nice dog.
| || |
Click on the pictures to see more.
Our dog, Frederik, among our regular customers known as "the manager",
always came to work with us, only not on Saturdays, when he had his day off. He
was born December 27 1985 and was an extremely kind and nice dog, but on October
27 1999 he couldn't go on any longer. He died at the age of 13 years and 10 months.